Sunday, November 1, 2009

lots to talk about

I have not written in a while and I have lots of things to update. Last weekend I went to sevilla to visit my spanish friend Tamara. Tamara studies at the University of Sevilla and was my neighbor when I studied abroad and I had an amazing time. She was so hospitable and it was really nice to be back in Sevilla. Sevilla is a much bigger and prettier city than Malaga, although I have the beach here Sevilla is just amazing all around. I spoke spanish all weekend since her roomates don't really speak any english. We went out Saturday night and the highlight of that was seeing a group of people singing and dancing out in the park, we ended up joining them and spending a few hours listenin to flamenco and dancing ( or trying to). The next day Tamara and I went for a bike ride around the city down by the river which was beautiful the weather was still really hot there it was in the high 80's! Not to be a stereotypical American but we went to starbucks because I really wanted an ice coffee and it was amazing :)

I also remembered where the Russian store was and we went in there, the lady working was very confused. She tried to speak to me in Spanish but I responded in Russian and then spoke to Tamara in English, so I had some explaining to do. Tamara was amazed because she had never heard Russian and I got some of my favorite foods that I missed.

This school week was great, it was Halloween so the kids were really excited. I had fun teaching them Halloween words and having them draw haunted houses, its funny because I don't think that they know that you can dress up like anything they thing that the extent of possible costumes is brujas ( witches) diablos ( devils) and vampiros. One of my classes dressed up during their time with me and we had a costume contest, they actually clapped for me when I left the class which was amazing since normally they won't let me talk without interrupting.

I also picked up some extra classes particulares ( private lessons). Now I will be giving four classes a week, which although makes my days long i don't mind since I have a long Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and then its the weekend again. The new family I am tutoring for lives down the street from the other girl I tutor for and are extremely nice. On thursday they wanted me to tutor but I said I couldn't since I had nothing to do during siesta ( the family lives a ten minute bus ride from where my school is so about 40 minutes from my apartment) so they said why don't you just come have lunch with us. So on thursday I have lunch with the family, mom, dad , kids we have coffee we chat and it's actually really fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment